Navamsa = 1/9th division of a sign = 3°^ 20` = 1/4th part of a nakhatra.
The whole zodiac of 12 signs with 27 nakshatras is divided into 108 parts.
Sequence of counting navamsa : the counting starts from the cardinal sign of each element.
1. For fiery signs : count from Aries
2. For Earthy signs : count from Capricorn
3. For Airy signs : Count from Libra
4. For watery signs : count from Cancer
– A planet occupying the same sign in the natal (D/1) and navamsa (D/9) charts is
known as vargottama.
– A vargottama planet is considered very strong, auspicious, capable of giving benefic
results during the main and sub dasha period and transits.
– The parts of the signs which are vargottama:
a)The first part of a moveable sign (from 0^0` to 3^20 )
b) The fifth part of a fixed sign (from 13^20` to 16^40`)
c) The ninth part of a dual sign (from 26^40` to 30^00`)
– Some astrologers are of the opinion that D/9 chart is a supplementary chart to D/1 chart.
2. VITTAMSWA OR DHANAMSA
8. NIDHANMSA OR RANSHRAMSHA